FORT LEE, Va. – Following months of traffic studies, Fort Lee is making changes to its gate hours to relieve weekend congestion for post visitors and residents.
Starting Aug. 6, weekend visitors will no longer access the post via the drive-thru Visitor Control Center at the Sisisky Boulevard Gate, but rather the VCC at the Lee Avenue Gate, which has been closed on weekends since January.
The Lee Avenue Gate and its VCC along Route 36 will be open 6 a.m. – 11 p.m. on weekends and federal holidays. At the same time, the gate at Mahone Avenue, accessible via Route 460, will close on weekends and federal holidays, allowing its guards to shift to the Lee Avenue Gate.
Tony Dewitt, director of emergency services, said there are not enough terminals or lanes at the Sisisky drive-thru VCC to accommodate the number of weekend visitors to Fort Lee, which leads to potentially hazardous traffic back-ups extending as far back as Route 36.
“The Lee VCC has the capacity to handle the hourly demand for visitor passes during peak hours,” he said.
The Sisisky Boulevard Gate will continue as the 24-hour main access point for those with proper military identification, and its drive-thru VCC will still be open weekdays from 8-11 p.m. All other gate hours remain the same.
The full gate schedule as of Aug. 6 will be:
- Sisisky Boulevard: Always open
- Lee Avenue: 5 a.m. – 8 p.m., Monday – Friday; 6 a.m. – 11 p.m. weekends and federal holidays
- Mahone Avenue: 5 a.m. – 11 p.m., Monday – Friday; closed weekends and federal holidays
- A Avenue: 5 a.m. – 8 p.m., Monday – Friday; closed weekends and federal holidays
- Shop Road (commercial vehicle entrance): 6 a.m. – 2 p.m., Monday – Friday; closed weekends and federal holidays – commercial vehicles must use the main gate when Shop Road gate is closed and may leave the post via any gate at all times
- Temple Avenue: 4:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. (inbound and outbound) and 4-6 p.m. (outbound only) Monday – Friday; closed weekends and federal holidays
- Jackson Circle: Always open to staff, residents and authorized guests
More information regarding access to Fort Lee is available online at www.lee.army.mil/access.