FORT LEE, Virginia – As an additional measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19, Maj. Gen. Rodney D. Fogg, senior commander here, has increased the installation’s Health Protection Condition to Charlie.
The installation was already observing about 75 percent of the HPCON-Charlie measures while under HPCON-Bravo. Steps taken more than a week ago include telework for most of the civilian workforce, social distancing in military classrooms and formations, 100 percent COVID-19 screening at medical facilities, and a slew of other measures.
“I have directed aggressive precautions to combat the spread of the virus,” Fogg emphasized in a message to the post Wednesday. “I am extremely confident we can curtail the spread of COVID-19 through engaged leadership and unfailing adherence to (all prevention) guidelines.”
As a result of the elevated posture, the following additional measures will be implemented:
- Fort Lee access will be limited to residents and those considered essential to the installation and its mission.
- Security personnel will ask individuals why they are visiting the installation and deny access to non-essential visitors. Beneficiaries with commissary and health care privileges also will be allowed on post.
- Mission essential transportation will be allowed on the installation.
- Mission essential / critical contractors retain installation access.
- Food, medical and postal delivery services are still permitted, but must leave the installation immediately after their business in completed.
- Commercial passenger transportation is limited to eight authorized taxi cabs; all other commercial passenger vehicles, including ride-sharing services such as Uber and Lyft, are prohibited.
- All Fort Lee Child Development Centers will close from March 30 through April 10.
Also, gate hours will change to the following schedule effective March 27:
- Sisisky Boulevard Gate: Always open
- Lee Avenue Gate: Closed
- Jackson Circle Gate: Always open to staff, residents and authorized guests
- Mahone Avenue Gate: 5 a.m. – 10 p.m. weekdays, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. weekends and federal holidays
- A Avenue Gate: 5 a.m. – 8 p.m. weekdays, closed weekends and federal holidays
- Shop Road Gate: Closed
- Temple Avenue Gate: 4:30-8 a.m. weekdays, closed weekends and federal holidays
The Visitor Control Center will continue operations from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Call (804) 734-5053 for assistance, avoiding walk-ins if it is not an emergency.
Fort Lee is the Army’s Home of Sustainment and supports the training, education and development of adaptive Army logistics professionals. Major organizations on the installation include the Defense Commissary Agency, Defense Contract Management Agency, Combined Arms Support Command, the Army Logistics University, U.S. Army Ordnance School, U.S. Army Quartermaster School and U.S. Army Transportation School. Fort Lee supports more than 90,000 Soldiers, retirees, veterans, family members and civilian employees in the local area with a regional economic impact of about $2.4 billion per year.
Fort Lee Public Affairs Office | 804.734.7451 | ArmyFortLee.PAO@mail.mil